Bill Plotkin - Nature and Soul

“A genuine elder possesses a good deal of wildness, perhaps more than any adult, adolescent or child. Our human wildness is our spontaneity, our untamed vitality, our innocent presence, our resistance to oppression, and our rule-transcending vivacity and self-reliance that social convention can never contain. We are designed to grow deeper into that wildness as we mature, not to recede from it. When we live soulcentrically, immersed in a lifelong dance with the mysteries of nature and psyche, our wildness flourishes. A wild elderhood is not a cantankerous old age or a devil-may-care attitude, nor is it stubbornness or dreamy detachment. Rather, the wildness of elderhood is a spunky exuberance in unmediated, ecstatic communion with the great mysteries of life—the birds, fishes, tress, mammals, the stars and galaxies, and the dream of the Earth” ~Bill Plotkin

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The Watershed Story

There are three watersheds in my ecoregion - Cheboygan, Lake Michigan and Boardman – Charlexoix. At this point in time, I am just going to focus on the Cheboygan watershed as my house lies within that one.

Anyone in the US can find their watershed by entering their zip code in the link below:


After clicking on the Cheboygan watershed, arrived at by the link above, I was taken to the link below which listed information specific to the watershed my house lies in.


This link lists water quality monitoring groups and where they are monitoring - as well as all the impairments to the different bodies of water in my area and what exactly is impairing them, such as PCB’s or mercury. It also lists stream flow for some of the rivers as well as local environmental organizations working to help with water quality which in my case is the Tipp of the Mitt Watershed Council.

First off, I am shocked to see all of the bodies of water which make up my watershed. Many lakes, rivers, and creeks. How is it possible to keep track of them all as well as their overall health? Some of the monitoring stations show contamination of Chlordane and DDT, both dangerous pesticides no longer used but which clearly still continue to persist both in the environment and in ourselves as well I am sure. Upon visiting The Global Healing Center websitewhich talks about Chlordane, I read that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables and one that avoids processed carbohydrates helps to rid your body of this pesticide. Oh my gosh, I pull on one thread to understand the watershed in my area, and I clearly wander into a whole other area, clearly pointing to the fact that everything is interrelated. What you do to one part of the web impacts another part of the web. There are many other things listed which are impacting the health of my watershed but I will have to investigate those impacts another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment