Bill Plotkin - Nature and Soul

“A genuine elder possesses a good deal of wildness, perhaps more than any adult, adolescent or child. Our human wildness is our spontaneity, our untamed vitality, our innocent presence, our resistance to oppression, and our rule-transcending vivacity and self-reliance that social convention can never contain. We are designed to grow deeper into that wildness as we mature, not to recede from it. When we live soulcentrically, immersed in a lifelong dance with the mysteries of nature and psyche, our wildness flourishes. A wild elderhood is not a cantankerous old age or a devil-may-care attitude, nor is it stubbornness or dreamy detachment. Rather, the wildness of elderhood is a spunky exuberance in unmediated, ecstatic communion with the great mysteries of life—the birds, fishes, tress, mammals, the stars and galaxies, and the dream of the Earth” ~Bill Plotkin

Sunday, November 19, 2017

The Indigenous People's Story




Rowing the dingy across the harbor to land, my two younger cousins in tow, I am excited to explore uninhabited Garden Island, one of many islands found in the Beaver Island archipelago off the coast of Michigan. It is July of ’74 and I am just barely 14 years old, sailing the waters of northern Michigan with my aunt and uncle. As I come ashore and disembark with my cousins, we soon find ourselves in thick woodlands, traversing overgrown footpaths. It is dim and dark under the cover of forest and I have decided of all things, to seek out the Native American cemetery, clearly identified on the map of the island my uncle had lent me. Maybe today I would have hesitated before making such a decision, understanding that cemeteries carry with them the energy and spirit of those who have passed. Wanting to make sure that it was respectful to visit such a place. But on this day, full of curiosity, I walk boldly into the clearing that holds the cemetery. Immediately I know I am in a special space as I can feel energy of the place hit me head on. Before me are about 20 spirit houses, little lodges built up off the ground, imbibing me with an ethereal feeling I have not been able to forget all these years later.

Over the years I have done a bit of research on the cemetery and discovered it was an Anishinaabe burial ground, more than likely from the Ottawa tribe. Upon talking to a member of the Ottawa tribe just recently, he confirmed to me that the Ottawa lived on Garden Island for many years. The tribes of the Great Lakes, the Ojibway, Algonquin, Ottawa, Potawatomi, Saulteaux, Nipissing and Mississauga, as well as some Oji-Cree and Metis communities, are known as the Anishinaabe. These tribes share cultural traditions and kinship ties but have their own identities and independent leadership. The Ottawa tribe, also known as the Odawa, have made their home in this part of Michigan since before the Europeans arrived. They had summer quarters in the northern part of the state and then traveled to the southern part of Michigan to overwinter. Because the lake offered the best form of travel, communities lived along the water rather than inland. The terms Grand Traverse Bay and Little Traverse Bay have roots in the Native American vernacular in that they referred to the size of the traverse needed to be made across the openings that formed bays as one was traveling by canoe along the lakeshore.

There is much I need to learn about the Odawa people but one aspect of their lives I have been researching is how they were never removed from their homeland during Andrew Jackson’s Indian Removal Act of 1830 and the credit for this is owed to the Odawa themselves. Using strategies that involved making themselves meld in and become useful to the white folks they lived around - buying land, paying taxes, attending church and trading furs – encouraged the citizens of Michigan to ask that the Odawa be able to stay. There were tough years where it appeared the Removal Act would be enforced but each time something came up preventing the Odawa’s removal.


Just last year, I attended an Odawa Pow Wow up the street from me. It was a magical day filled with beautiful dress, dance and music. I was so happy to experience a part of their rich cultural heritage and am thankful they are here as a part of our community. But in reality, I am simply a visitor here on their reservation land. A large section of northwest Michigan is Odawa reservation land with a lawsuit pending that will allow them to gain jurisdiction over this land once again. Keeping my fingers crossed for them.

References:

Ottawa Adaptive Strategies to Indian Removal By James M. McClurken

History of the Ottawa and Chippewa Indians of Michigan:

Michigan State University, Native Americans in the Great Lakes Region:

Tribal History of Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians:

No comments:

Post a Comment